Wednesday 14 March 2012

something to share

why is this action of exhibiting so important?

why does a festival have less value?

this makes me think about it all more...

I make video art and show my works quite actively at festivals and various screenings. Mostly the works are shown in smaller cinemas and or as installations in video monitors. Sometimes I guess a screening can have an audience up to 100 people in one day. A 1 or 2 week show might have the same audience or even a smaller amount…


Isn't it all about exhibiting which means showing your work? That's why an artist wants to show his/hers work - that's why an artist probably creates in the first place. She/he has something to share.

So what's the big deal?

Of course in a 1 -4 week show the audience can decide to go to the gallery every day if they want to. And I know that objects and paintings etc can not be shown in a festival really…not that easily. It would also be more expensive. Video art is not that expensive, or does not have to be. It can be done with a very low cost budget if needed and still be fucking brilliant.

The probelm is just that it can't really be sold - or yes it can - but nobody really wants to buy it. I would happily sell the rights of my videowork to someone. Imagine then they would be the ONLY ones who could watch it. But how sad isn't that?
I mean if I created this piece because I want to share my ideas and thoughts then why let only 1 person watch it…well, then I think a museum should buy it and show it every now and then. That would be the ultimate customer for my art/my ideas.

So the conclusion is that I do not create beauty only. I create content. Content I want to share. Well I would say that this is what is art. If it lacks content it's not art.

Imagine this scenario. An artist creates a beautiful masterpiece with a revolutionary content. SOmething fucking brilliant - then the piece is bought by some rich person and put on a wall in a mansion. The other rich people see it (and the cleaning lady) and they go "ooh its soo marvellous, soo beautiful - what did you pay for it?"..etc.

And thats the end of that revolutionary content…that should have been shared worldwide to everyone….

No comments:

Post a Comment